Sunday 21 July 2013

Digital Tools: Visual literacy, Images, Audio and video's



Learning in the 21st Century; In and Outside of the Classroom
 Image Source: http://cegsa.sa.edu.au/2012/01/pd-events-term-one-2012/hand-on-education-keyboard-banner-image/


“Visual literacy is the ability to see, to understand, and ultimately to think, create, and communicate graphically” (Thibault & Walbert, pg. 1, 2003). Similar to literacy, visual literacy requires more than one level of skill (Thibault & Wlabert, 2003). Please refer to my graphic organiser that I have created based on the work of Melissa Thibault and David Walbert (2003) to ascertain the differing visual literacy levels.


In order to create this image I used Microsoft smart art, took a screen shot of the image, pasted the image into another word doc, cropped the image, compressed picture and deleted cropped areas, saved and uploaded image onto blog. It is a pretty simple process to follow and I am sure once individuals complete the task often it will become relatively simple for them too.


Provided in the table below is a list of skills that are acquired, utilised and further  developed through Visual Literacy.

 Skills involved in Digital Literacy

Observation
Comprehension
Vocabulary
Identification
Analysis
Evaluation
Deconstruction
Compare and Contrast
Explanation

As I study English and History I am constantly required to study visual sources. I would like to share with you the mnemonic that I use to scaffold my critical analysis of resources.


I have decided for this week to complete my reflection through a pod cast as this is the digital tool i have had the least experience in using / creating.

 Please view my wiki link to listen to this weeks reflection: http://elearningabc.wikispaces.com/Digital+Tools+Reflection+Podcast

Prezi link: http://prezi.com/e9sg3db4zzuv/the-pitch/?kw=view-e9sg3db4zzuv&rc=ref-35563821 

No comments:

Post a Comment